Justin Gordon Resume
- Currently Rails consulting.
- From the backend persistence layer to the Ruby layer, to client side
Github and submitting a pull request within a day of joining a
- Ruby on Rails full stack engineer, ruby, coffeescript, jQuery, saas,
- Extensive contributions to high performance Java enterprise
applications used by the world's largest retailers.
- Areas of expertise include: Ruby on Rails, Test Driven Development
(rspec and JUnit),
profiling and optimizing (with Yourkit),
concurrency, caching, EmberJs.
- University of California at Berkeley, Walter Haas School of
Business MBA, December 2001, Beta Gamma Sigma, Management of
- Harvard University, BA Applied Mathematics, Magna Cum Laude,
- Chartered Financial Analyst, 1996
Rails Consulting Projects
- Narrative of
- November, 2002 to 2013. Team Lead, Senior Engineer, Architect, in
Burlingame, CA and telecommuting from Maui since 2007.
- The world's largest retailers, including Walmart and Lowes, use the
algorithms designed, implemented, and optimized by Justin to store
and edit all their vendor product data currently.
- Java software engineering leadership on 3 tier web-based enterprise
application for product information management, collection and
distribution, for the world’s largest retailers.
- Broad contributions to all aspects of the leading (according to
product for Master Data Management of Product Information, used by
many of the world's largest retailers.
- Most significant contribution is the lead implementer of improved
storage layer architecture from shredded database tables to highly
performing binary serialization, using an XP development methodology
(TDD, pair programming, and scrum meetings), along with a mechanism
of searching the data via database XML.
- Responsible for the majority of server side performance
optimizations, such as the use of EhCache distributed caching. Led
integration of profilers into PIM product for more efficient
- Responsible for all development aspects of releases from 4.2.1,
5.0.1 (Home Depot/Albertsons “Large Retailer” release), 6.x, and
9.x, from negotiation of product feature set and schedule, to
developer assignments, to handling resource re-allocations, to
development procedures, to bug triage, and final release.
- Process and innovation driver: Instigated move toward Agile
Development Methodologies, including Pair Programming and Test
Driven Development (TDD).
- Main contact for tough customer issues, especially regarding
performance (cpu and memory usage), data integrity, caching, and
- Developed methodology to bring TDD product wide using the Dependent
- 1999-2001, Emeryville, CA, Architect, Tools
- Responsible for all of Extensity’s development efforts (all Java)
aimed at system administrators and integrators, including serving as
the co-architect of cross-functional efforts to improve the
efficiency of Extensity’s professional services. Conducted
architecture and code reviews, gathered customer requirements,
created design documents, conducted training sessions, and
supervised team members. Awarded "Employee of the Month" for October 2000.
Promoted from “Team Lead” to “Architect” in June 2000.
- Led re-architecture of 5.0 System Administration Tool, from
marketing requirements and initial design plans to coding and
refinement to GA in June 2000.
- Primary designer and implementer of “Group Based Data” (Application
- Architect of the GuiEditor, an internal tool for designing screens
and other installation customizations. Designed and coded tools for
configuration of sample and meta data.
- Led the design for multinational organizations with features such as
support for VAT.
In the 1990's, I did C++/Sybase investment programming at Mellon
Capital and Java programming for a startup
Infoscape. Here's some details from an older
resume if you're interested.
CEO at ShakaCode